Monday, September 13, 2010

Rub a dub ZoOOeY is in the tub

Typically bathing Zoey is a bit like wrestling an alligator. You have to drag her into the bathtub, quickly close the bathroom doors and fight with her to keep her in the tub. She hates bath time! Usually, I hold her down while Andy scrubs her (or vice versa). In the end we both end up soaking wet and there typically is more water splashed out onto the floor than in the actual tub.
Well, things were a bit different on this particular day (actually, VERY different!!) We were able to drag Zoey into the tub and just when I was getting ready to quickly close the bathroom door, Gabe came bolting in, to see what was going on. This was the first time he had seen Zoey in "his" bathtub. He was quite perplexed by this... I tried to keep Gabe away from the tub. I didn't want this crazy gator jumping out and knocking him over... but Gabe was determined to get to the bath tub and check things out...
What happened next had Andy and my jaws dropping to the floor... Gabe grabbed ahold of Zoey... he patted her head and gave her kisses... and all was still. Zoey stopped thrashing around and for the first time she was (dare I say) cooperative in the bath tub.
I don't know if Andy and I were more impressed by Gabe's ability to sense that Zoey needed comforting.... or that his presence actually calmed Zoey! This moment made it very clear that these two have a very special relationship. A relationship that we may never fully understand...
This also confirmed for me that Gabe is a nurturer (which makes my heart melt) It makes a parent proud to know that their child is caring and at this young age can already show compassion towards others....
Maybe... just maybe... we can get Gabe to make Zoey behave on a leash!!!




No comments:

Post a Comment