Some call it bribery....some call it positive re-enforcement... I call it... getting Gabe to behave so I don't pull all of my hair out ;)
We have a "I went on the potty all day without any accidents" box and a " I went all day without having to sit in time out" basket.
I created the "potty box" because Gabe kept getting distracted while playing and "forgetting" to use the potty... which meant more messes and more laundry for mommy! The box is filled with fun little surprises from the dollar store... like stickers, bracelets, pencils, and toy cars. If he goes all day without having a potty accident...he gets to pick one thing from the box, before bed.
I created the "good listener" basket because I was so sick of Gabe not listening and having to spend a good part of his day sitting in time out! The basket is filled with bigger...more fun toys... like jump ropes, glow wands, water guns, books, and sand toys.
When I created the "positive reinforcement" box and basket... I knew he'd do well with the potty one... but I was very skeptical that he would ever go a whole, entire day without sitting in time out!
Boy was I wrong!
It's amazing what a little incentive can do!
On this particular night... he got to pick one thing from the "potty" box AND one thing from the "good listener" basket!!
Mommy, Daddy, AND Gabe were Oh So Proud!!
We have a "I went on the potty all day without any accidents" box and a " I went all day without having to sit in time out" basket.
I created the "potty box" because Gabe kept getting distracted while playing and "forgetting" to use the potty... which meant more messes and more laundry for mommy! The box is filled with fun little surprises from the dollar store... like stickers, bracelets, pencils, and toy cars. If he goes all day without having a potty accident...he gets to pick one thing from the box, before bed.
I created the "good listener" basket because I was so sick of Gabe not listening and having to spend a good part of his day sitting in time out! The basket is filled with bigger...more fun toys... like jump ropes, glow wands, water guns, books, and sand toys.
When I created the "positive reinforcement" box and basket... I knew he'd do well with the potty one... but I was very skeptical that he would ever go a whole, entire day without sitting in time out!
Boy was I wrong!
It's amazing what a little incentive can do!
On this particular night... he got to pick one thing from the "potty" box AND one thing from the "good listener" basket!!
Mommy, Daddy, AND Gabe were Oh So Proud!!
*Disclaimer- Our "positive re-enforcement" worked for about two weeks... then the novelty wore off!!
I am happy to report that Gabe no longer has potty accidents... but he is back to making mama want to pull out her hair!
Wracking my brain for the next idea to help Gabe be the sweet, helpful, loving, gentle little love bug that I KNOW he can be!
No comments:
Post a Comment